Saturday, April 20, 2013
I usually always say this after my most recent race but this was one of the hardest races I have ever done.
The distance is really a poor indicator of the difficulty of the race, It took me 2 hours and 23 minutes to complete. The last 2 miles feature 800ft of elevation gain. That's an average of 8% grade on a rocky rooty trail for the last 2 miles of a half marathon. There are stream crossings, terrain that goes straight up, rocks, roots, mud so deep your entire foot sinks in. To top it off there was 40 degrees temperatures and 20 mph winds. It even started to snow at the higher elevations. One downhill was so steep and long my quads started to give out. The last 2 miles of the uphill I literally had to walk most of it. I would start running and my heart rate would peg at its maximum and my legs would literally stop moving. So it was back to the walk. Somehow, I managed to run the last 640 meters.
I did the race with Carrot Chopper as my pacer and motivator. CC was running so far under her capacity that she would stop to go the the restroom, I would keep running and she would catch up.
So I am left sore...exhausted.. Red Queen Less (She is at a seminar today)..in gastric distress ( I will leave out the details) and my sneakers are dirty. Cant wait to do it again next year!
Thursday, April 18, 2013
9. Dryer Road, Mendon Ponds, High Tor
8. Learn guitar at Denton's with complimentary dinners and unlimited purple drank
7. Time with your brother from another mother
6. VO2 Max is sick of you anyway
5. Parrish hill is almost as steep as Mags
4. They must have a bike shop here you can work in
3. Invitation to all expense paid getaway to Lake Placid with the RQ, Lil'B, and CC. Don't forget the incomparable Portman!
2. Save on rent, food, airfare (aka mooch off mom and dad; Matt can mooch too!)
and the #1 reason for Butter Stick to spend the summer in Rochester...
Your girlfriend says you will.
Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Saturday, April 6, 2013
Cream Puff and the RQ have been doing a pretty good job of stuffing Portman with food lately. Portman is getting fat and he has a 20K trail run to complete in soon. I cant wait till Carrot Chopper gets home and puts us on the Vegan Diet plan so I can lose some of this excess lamb from my frame.