Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Burning Sugar

I am not sure what got me started on this odyssey but somehow in my head I decided I was going to make gooey caramel sauce from scratch. It may have been all those amazing posts over at Together Cooking, or maybe I am jealous that Cream Puff is studying to be a chef or maybe it was the tooth breaking pie bottom we served to my in laws. Whatever the reason, when I get a burr up my butt to accomplish something, there is nothing stopping me except the laws of physics maybe, they keep getting rewritten anyway. I think in some endeavors I may have discovered the god particle along the way and dismissed it as insignificant because my original goal had not been obtained (See I am Marwe Post).

Attempt 1: Google recipe, try it to the letter. Pour caramel over ice cream and break a tooth, make appointment with dentist.

Ask Cream Puff: She says you just have to not stir it.Find out there is a wet and dry method for doing this. She gives me a wet method recipe.

Attempt 2: Ask the local baker who attended the CIA. She says yes there is a secret you must use lemon juice, it breaks up the crystallization. This one I burn but it sets up so hard I have to pour boiling water over the pan to free up the meltdown. Seems lemon juice is not the secret after all.

Attempt 3: Google again "what is the secret to gooey caramel sauce". This time I get a dry method recipe. This one works. The god particle will have to wait.







No comments: